→ Name: Tower of Pisa, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Bell Tower of Pisa
→ Italian Name: Torre Pendente di Pisa
→ Location: City of Pisa, Italy.
→ Accommodation: Find Hotels in Pisa
→ Construction Year: started in 1173, finished in 1399
→ Original Height: 60 m
→ Actual Height: 56.67m =highest side; 55,86m =lowest side
→ Stairs: 251 steps
→ Weight: 14,500 tonnes
If you want to be sure to see the Tower up close → You Need to book your Leaning Tower of Pisa Tickets in Advance
Leaning Tower of Pisa General Info:
The Tower of Pisa is located next to the Cathedral of Pisa, in Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of miracles) in the city of Pisa, Italy.
Click here to find Hotels in the city center of Pisa, near Leaning Tower of Pisa!
The building of the leaning Tower of Pisa, and especially its completion, represents the last element in the compliment of the ceremonial complex of monuments that enrich the Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of miracles).
The project included four representative monuments in the city of Pisa, Italy: the Cathedral of Pisa (Il Duomo di Pisa), the Baptistry, the Bell Tower of Pisa, Monumental Cemetery
Architecture style → The leaning Tower of Pisa is a medieval architecture, in Romanesque style.
Construction time → The construction of Tower of Pisa began in 1173 and was completed in the 14th century, in 1399
Design → It is considered that the architects and engineers who designed the leaning Tower of Pisa are: Bonanno Pisano, Gherardo di Gherardo, Giovanni Pisano, Giovanni di Simone
The first phase of Pisa Tower’s construction is attributed to Bonanno Pisano or Gherardo di Gherardo.
Giovanni Pisano and Giovanni di Simone continued the second phase of the building. Tommaso Pisano finished the tower’s construction.
Tower of Pisa Interesting Facts:
- Pisa got its name in 600 BC from a Greek word meaning “marshy land.”
- There are several other towers in Pisa that also lean: the bell tower at the church of St. Michele dei Scalzi, and the bell tower at the church of St. Nicola.
- The cathedral and baptistery are also sinking.
- Galileo was baptized in the baptistery in 1565.
- The foundation of the cemetery, Campo Santo, is made up of 53 shiploads of earth that were brought back from the Hill of Calvary in Jerusalem
How tall is the Tower of Pisa?
- The original completed height of the Tower of Pisa is 60 meters. Actually the tower’s height is 56.67m on the highest side and 55,86m on the lowest side.
- The outside diameter of the leaning Tower of Pisa’s base is 15.484 meters.
- Width of walls at base is 2.4384 meters
- Weight of tower is approximately 14,500 tonnes
- There are 251 steps from the bottom to the top of the Pisa tower.
- Other interesting facts can be found on our page Historical facts about Tower of Pisa.